My charge is busy. He is playing barber to one of his teddy bears. Might as well let him do that--who knows he'll end up being a barber. Instead of a farmer. While I write something. Which is hard to do when the barber throws question after question at me while snipping hair away. Mommy, what are the polar bear's enemies? What living things live indoors? Where do they sell tadpoles? Why are rain clouds black?
These days, the questions are getting more and more difficult to answer. Good thing there's google. Roo never stops asking, and if he's not doing that, he's telling you something he just learned. The times he's quiet, it still is never quiet--it's like I can almost hear the wheels of his mind churning, processing something that he's going to ask next, or talk about next.
And so, since he's always speaking his mind, we've been teaching him about tact. My kid as candid as he is, sometimes can say things that are not tactful, or polite. Like one time, his grandma and grandpa gave us alkaline water, and he didn't like the taste of it, so the next time they said they were coming to give us some more, he burst out, "But I don't like alkaline water!" Bringing him aside, I talked to him and told him that it's great that he's telling the truth, that he didn't lie about it, but that sometimes, it's good to keep some things we don't like to ourselves. So that people don't get hurt. I said next time it would be nice if he can just say thank you, even if he doesn't like what someone's giving him, just so that person would be happy.
He took that lesson to heart. When his grandparents came, he didn't say a word about the water. But he got back at me a while later. His daddy called, and I informed the daddy that the little boy didn't sleep. That meant one thing. He won't get a treat from his daddy. While mulling over his misfortune, he walked over to the kitchen gate, called my attention, and said, "Mommy, that was not really a nice thing to say to daddy. It's true that I didn't sleep, but that wasn't nice of you to tell daddy that. Now I don't feel happy."
Now if you'll excuse me, I have some rescuing to do. The bear doesn't look too happy, and my son is all covered with bear hair.
4 comments:
I once baby sat the daughter of my boss. Since it was the first time I did such thing, I ask her what her daughter is like (although I already met Gabrielle many times). Anyway my boss told me that her 3 yr old daughter is fond of playing the Why Game.
I thought it was going to be a piece of cake. So anyway when the two of us were already alone, we started our bonding moment watching the Bee Movie. Gabrielle then started asking me questions about the flowers and why they need bees.
I was able to handle her questions with simple explanation. But her question started to get complicated and I was on the verge of discussing photosynthesis but I just stopped myself because I know there will be more why's coming with that.
So I just told her that it's time to go to bed and she can continue asking her questions tomorrow...with Mommy.
hahaha! Verns, that's a winner! you can be a mommy already! hehehe.
I sometimes say, "Ask your daddy." Works well too. :D
haha cute kay Roo ah..pareho pareho gid ang mga eksena ta sa mga anak ta, since Roo and my Abe are just of the same age... enjoy gid ko basta ang blog mo about kay Roo..hay dugay an ko wala naka blog about Abe..mayo pa guro ma sugod sugod naman ko liwat. hehehe ...and then we will print our entries for them to read some day...evidences of how much we love and dote on them...
Anne, tama ka gid. keep writing. not only for Abe, but also for yourself. kay indi na bala kita bata. malipatan ta na ya ang mga nagkalatabo sa ila pagdaku. hugs ko kay Abe!
Post a Comment