Sunday, June 15, 2008

Quiet Thoughts

My eyes are still heavy with sleep but my mind is already whirling.  The wind woke me up.  It's a good thing too for it is a lovely morning.  The birds are chirping their early morning praises. I hear the rooster crowing from a distance.  A light shower is refreshing the earth.  Perfect for quiet meditation.

We are at the "tiny" hotel we frequent.  Roo calls it tiny and he has every reason to.  It is perhaps the smallest hotel we've been to.  The parking lot can hold less than twenty cars.  This is the view from my window, and that's all there is to this place.

But we like it.  Not only for it's reasonable price but also that it's new, it's clean, and it's very quiet. It sits at the bottom of a hill in a quiet part of Pattaya.  Before we discovered this haven, I've never really liked the idea of spending the weekend at Pattaya.  I think it's no different than Bangkok.  There are always too many people, and the traffic is just as bad, if not worse.   But we found this place and we got hooked!  And so since we've come here often enough this year, our stay at this time is free!  Yup, they had this promotion when we registered to become members, you stay ten nights, you get one night free.

Yesterday, while walking along the shore, I found some tiny fish.  They weren't breathing anymore, but they were fresh!  Meaning, it looked like they just lost it when they were washed to shore.  Excited to show my catch to my boys, I turned back.  And that's when I noticed the woman.  She was walking towards me with her daughter.  She was carrying this big bag, and every now and then she would pick up something from the sand.  As we met, her eyes darted from my hand to my face, and she beamed me a smile.  I stole a glance at her bag and saw fish and squid inside.  Thinking of contributing my find to their dinner, I hurried to back to Roo and daddy E.  My boys were excited to see the fish; Roo asked if he could touch them and daddy E asked if he could take pictures of them dead fish. I waited as patiently as I could while the daddy snapped picture after picture of the fish on my hand.  Then I hastened back to catch up with the woman, and handed her the fish.  She flashed me a grateful smile, and said "Khap khun khah." That's thank you in Thai.

Many people perhaps would feel sorry for the woman.  Maybe she doesn't have a job.  Maybe her husband doesn't earn enough to feed the family.  Everyday she walks the long stretch of beach, back and forth, several times, to find enough food for her family.  She told us she gets like a kilo of fish some days.  In many ways, I say she's blessed.  I think it's grand that her life is that simple!  She lives by the beach.  She gets to exercise.  She feeds her kids fresh fish without spending a single satang (cent).  What's more, her children get to play on the sand and breathe fresh air day in and day out!  

I wish I could bring that thought further but duty calls.  My boys are awake and it's time for worship.  Take care y'all, hope you have a relaxing Sunday!  

12 comments:

h. said...

wow, weekend away. i miss doing that. today's clean up day here at home :-)

happy father's day to clyde!

Jackie said...

That is beautiful. I felt like I was there! :) It's true that the simplest things in life are often the most special.

zherwin said...

life, really is full of surprises, you'll never know when you'll get one, and how and from whom. ang sayang i-appreciate ang mga simpleng bagay no, lalo pa't magulo yung ginagalawan natin?

IA. said...

Haze, salamat daw. Hope Tec had a great daddy's day too!

'Twas a relaxing weekend away for us...nag hotel-hopping na naman kami, yan ang bisyo naming tatlo whenever we get the chance to indulge.

IA. said...

Jackie, it is sad that in our increasingly complex world we tend to forget to enjoy and savor the simple and beautiful things around us. I'm thankful for the chance to pause and think again what matters most in this life.

IA. said...

Zherwin, that is so true! Sa kagulo, kabilis, at kahirap ng buhay minsan, nakakalimutan natin na maraming bagay meron tayo na di man lang natin naisip pasalamatan. Yet God is good! He has His own ways of reminding us and yes, even surprising us, with the little joys and delights that life so bountifully offers.

escape said...

nice sharing! i like the way you write about this woman. but what makes it special is the worship. are you a Christian?

the resort looks simple but nice.

IA. said...

Dong, thanks! That woman made our day extra special...she somehow made us more grateful for what God has given us.

Yes, I am a Christian! Our family spends what we call worship time, mornings and evenings. We sing praises, read God's Word, share, and pray. You are right, it is special :D

Heart of Rachel said...

It sounds like a wonderful place to spend the weekend with your family.

IA. said...

Hi Rach! It is a great place if you want quiet. Not many people have found it yet, and like Roo says, it's so tiny, so there's not much too do around the hotel.

escape said...

i really admire people who find time for prayer! what's your group by the way?

IA. said...

Dong, for us, prayer is like a lifeline, can't survive without it. Our relationship with Him is strengthened and nurtured when we talk and spend time with Him, just like we do in any of our earthly relationships.